2020 1/4oz Great Britain The 400th Anniversary of the Voyage of the Mayflower .9999 Gold Proof 2pc Set (NGC PF70 First Release)
The story of the Mayflower is one that connects two continents, with most of the passengers having come from England. In 2020, the world commemorates the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower’s voyage.
The passengers of the Mayflower came in part from a group of religious separatists that had sprung up in the early 1600s. Many had fled to the Netherlands for the sake of religious freedom but were eager to start completely anew in the New World. These people were known as the so-called ‘Saints’ and joining them were the ‘Strangers’ – craftsmen, adventurers and others – who are all remembered as the Pilgrims.
Hit by setbacks and tragedies at seemingly every turn, the Pilgrims eventually arrived in modern-day Massachusetts and immediately sought to govern themselves by a new form of social contract that relied on the consensus of those governed. The Mayflower Compact, as it was known, would ultimately inspire the United States Constitution.
This inspiring story is told from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean through a rare collaboration between The Royal Mint and the United States Mint. A gold Proof coin from both mints are presented together in a set that tells a detailed story of the Mayflower. Providing continuity and symmetry to the coins are different designs from the artist Chris Costello.
- Observe a historic and internationally significant anniversary
- A rare collaboration between two of the world’s leading mints
- The joint set is presented in a hard case, contained within a two-piece box surrounded by a printed outer sleeve. The packaging is dual branded by The Royal Mint and The United States Mint plus a common Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is included that has been produced in collaboration between the two mints
- Both the UK and US coins feature design work by US artist Chris Costello
- Ideal for those with an interest in US or British history
|Denomination||25 GBP, 10 USD|
|Country||Great Britain | US|
|Manufacturer||The Royal Mint | US Mint|
|Diameter (mm)||22 | 22|