2022 1oz Great Britain The Royal Tudor Beasts - Lion of England .999 Silver Proof Coin
Subscribe to back in stock notificationSubscribe
The Royal Mint is commemorating the ten heraldic Royal Beasts that line the Moat Bridge of Hampton Court Palace. Created at the behest of Henry VIII, the beasts symbolised the legitimacy of the king’s rule by portraying his regal ancestry. The first coin in the series featured the Seymour Panther and now the collection continues with a coin celebrating the Lion of England.
The Lion of England is one of the oldest and most iconic beasts in heraldry. It first appeared on royal emblems in the twelfth century and has been part of the shield of England for as long as it has existed. Chosen to represent pride and courage, the Lion of England on the Moat Bridge at Hampton Court Palace holds a shield bearing the impaled – or combined – arms of Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, symbolising the strength of the couple’s union.
Available as gold Proof and silver Proof editions, as well as a Brilliant Uncirculated edition, the coin features a depiction of the Lion of England that is as fearsome as the original stone beast itself. Snarling with sharp claws and an impressive mane topped with a royal crown, it truly is the 'king of the beasts'.
The Lion of England 2022 UK 1oz Silver Proof Coin features the following edge inscription: 'HAMPTON COURT PALACE . ROYAL TUDOR BEASTS'. This edition is also available as part of a two-coin set, containing one coin struck to Proof standard, and one that has a reverse frosted finish.
Key Selling Points:
• The second coin in a series celebrating the powerful Tudor dynasty
• Features the Lion of England – the oldest and most iconic of the Royal Beasts
• The majestic reverse design was created by the artist and illustrator David Lawrence
• As well as a Brilliant Uncirculated edition, the coin is available struck to Proof standard in fine gold and fine silver
• Each coin comes with packaging that explores the story of the lion and the different design elements of the heraldic Royal Beasts
• Created in collaboration with the experts at Historic Royal Palaces
|Manufacturer||The Royal Mint|
|Series||The Royal Tudor Beasts|
|Box & Certificate||yes|