2017 1 oz Falkland Islands - Britannia .999 Silver Reverse Proof Coin
Subscribe to back in stock notificationSubscribe
This is the first-ever bullion coin minted on behalf of the Falkland Islands. This stunning Silver Britannia coin features a reverse proof finish with a design honoring the 35th anniversary of the Falklands Liberation.
Britannia was actually the Latin name given to Great Britain in 43AD when it was occupied by the Romans. She was then personified and turned into a goddess who’s original bare breasted, spear wielding figure has appeared on coins from the 2nd Century until the modern day.
The patriotic British song "Rule, Britannia!" originated from a poem written by James Thomson of the same name and was set to music in 1740 by Thomas Arne. The song has always been strongly associated with the Royal Navy hence the association with the Falklands Liberation due to the important part they played in the conflict. Britannia is a particularly strong British national emblem and the words from the song “Britannia Rules the Waves” are particularly resonating in relation to the Falklands Liberation.
The long running dispute between Britain and Argentina over the ownership of the Falkland Islands was brought to a head on the March 19, 1982 when 50 Argentines landed on South Georgia Island and hoisted their flag. Under the order of Galtieri, President of Argentina, the invasion of the Falkland Islands was declared on 2nd April which triggered the start of the War.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver
- Coins will come in plastic flips
- Limited mintage of 42,671 coins
- Obverse: Depicts an effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II used exclusively by Pobjoy Mint
- Reverse: Features Britannia, the female personification of the British Isles who is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength holding a trident in the foreground. The waves of the sea are shown in the background
- Sovereign coin backed by the British Virgin Island government
|Box & Certificate||No|