2017 1 oz Canada Under the Sea - Sea Turtle .9999 Silver Proof Coin
Dating back more than 100 million years, the sea turtle is one of the world's most ancient animals. Canada's own coastal waters play host to three species of this prehistoric reptile: the leatherback, loggerhead and green turtle. This graceful shelled reptile is truly a treasured gem in the roster of species found along our eastern and western coastlines—and also on this coin, where a sculpted mosaic murrini element recreates its likeness to stunning effect.
Each sea turtle crafted in one-of-a-kind glass! Order today!
- THIRD AND FINAL COIN! The sea turtle follows the seahorse and the sea star in a series of 99.99% pure silver coins featuring unique marine species found in Canadian waters!
- STUNNING GLASS SEA TURTLE! To create the outstanding mosaic murrini element featured on your coin, the glass artist crafted a mosaic comprised of different colours of borosilicate glass rods (stringers), which are carefully layered in a complex pattern within a wide glass tube. Using a vacuum pump, the air is pulled from the tube to prevent gaps between the stringers as they fuse together to form a long cane. Slicing the cane into cross sections reveals the final image; each of these glass layers is then carefully polished and worked into a globule of borosilicate glass, along with a coloured background.
- EACH GLASS ART UNIQUE! Each coin features a stunning murrini element enclosed in a glass embellishment. Handcrafted by Canadian glass artist Loïc Beaumont-Tremblay, the sculpted glass art makes each coin unique! Despite a delicate appearance, the glass enclosure is made from borosilicate glass, which is prized for its lightweight yet highly resilient quality.
- ONE-OUNCE 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin is GST/HST exempt!
- LIMITED MINTAGE: Only 7,500 coins will be made available worldwide. Hurry and order yours today before they are all gone!
- SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! Your coin includes a serialized certificate!
Designed by Canadian artist Maurice Gervais, your coin peers into the underwater world off Canada's coast, where colour over detailed engraving highlights the coral, ferns and rocks that lie beneath the gentle waves. On the left, a handcrafted embellishment by Canadian glass artist Loïc Beaumont-Tremblay contains a sea turtle-shaped mosaic murrini element. The mosaic-based approach to this glass art technique lends itself well to recreating the turtle's distinctive appearance, from its shell to its clawed feet and tail. Positioned to mimic the turtle's movements through the water, the murrini piece is itself enclosed in its own glass shell sculpted from borosilicate glass. The reverse features the engraved word "CANADA", the year "2017" and the face value, "20 DOLLARS". The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Did you know…
- The leatherback turtle is the largest of all sea turtles, and can weigh more than 900 kilograms!
- Sea turtles don't nest on Canada's beaches but they are found in the waters off Canada's Atlantic and Pacific coasts, particularly in the summer.
- The most dangerous chapter in a sea turtle's life is when it first hatches. Free from its egg, the hatchling uses light to make its way across the beach, past a number of dangerous predators, to find relative safety in the ocean waves.
- Only the female returns to the shore, and only when it is time to nest—the male spends its entire life at sea.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
|Manufacturer||Royal Canadian Mint|
|Series||Under the Sea|
|Box & Certificate||Yes|